Every single person on this planet wants to be happy and successful. Still, some seem to achieve that with ease while others cannot reach their goal despite the constant struggle.
What may be the reason success and happiness seem to be light years away from some people?
Ready to hear it?
The key underlying reason for such differences is within us – it’s our mindset, i.e the way we see life.
Well, whether you perceive the above as good or bad news also reveals your true state of mind.
The same ol’ thinking always leads to the same ol’ results, doesn’t it?
‘How do I change my mindset to be successful?’
Luckily, it’s possible and within your power to change your mindset and upgrade it for success if you know how your mind works and what you can do to transform a negative way of thinking.
Once you go through a few simple steps that will help you trigger and kick-start changing your mindset from fixed to growth, a whole new world will open up in front of you.
Are you willing to explore and embrace it?
If the answer is positive, keep reading.
How do you maintain a positive attitude towards online work? Get your free cheat sheet and determine your work values priorities.
Step 1: Be grateful for even the smallest life joys
Nowadays, in this hasty world, we all always want something more and better and we forget to be grateful for what we already have in our lives.
You know what?
A grateful mind is an easy way leading to a supreme eye-opening experience.
Developing a grateful mindset implies:
- focusing on positive life situations,
- turning negative events into favorable ones by learning from them, and
- ignoring small everyday nuisances.
Still, to change your mindset to a grateful one effectively, it’s necessary to practice gratitude continuously as much as possible in everything you do at least for a few months.
You can start practicing with the following simple techniques until you make gratitude a habit:
- Start acknowledging the beauty and goodness in your daily life.
- Keep a gratitude journal, i.e. write down what you are grateful for every day before you go to sleep starting with at least five small happy moments of the day and adding up more over time.
- Make a single act of kindness a part of each day. Do something nice for the people around you.
- Do your best to find at least one positive side in every negative situation you encounter because every cloud has a silver lining, right?
- Pick one day each week when you will not complain no matter what happens to you.
- Thank the people for little kind acts you usually take for granted.
- Tell your nearest and dearest ones how much you love them.
- Try to be equally nice to your friends and enemies until you learn how to love the latter, too.
- Eliminate negative and destructive content from your daily life.
- Nurture good relationships and spend more quality time with your family and friends.
- Do some volunteer work.
- Welcome and embrace all your failures and challenging situations and because that’s the first step in turning them into growth lessons on your way to success.
- Smile more and absorb inspiring content (videos, quotes, articles etc.) to keep yourself motivated.
Just don’t rush through the whole process and focus on people and relationships rather than things.
Once you notice that you’ve started recognizing and appreciating small joyful moments in your life such as getting a friendly smile from a neighbor, you’ll know you’re on the right way to setting your mindset to be grateful.
Not only will you change yourself, but you’ll change the world by making gratitude a part of your daily life.
Step 2: Lower your great expectations
No one says having high expectations is generally negative. However, if you tend to impose growing standards either upon others or yourself, prepare for some adverse effects.
After all, isn’t it harmful to overdo anything in life?
Being insistent and overambitious often leads to burnout or depression, so it’s not advisable to keep pushing yourself over the limits.
Similarly, if you’re quite demanding towards the other people you live and work with, you risk losing them once they got scared, tired or simply fed up with your excessively high expectations they constantly feel they cannot meet.
Is that what you aspire to?
So, stop expecting anything from anyone.
Simply accept yourself and others as you all are and you’ll feel disappointed and dissatisfied with your or other people’s results less often.
This leads us to another critical point – self-love.
Step 3: Learn how to love yourself more
Do you feel more comfortable giving than receiving? Do you always put other people’s needs and wishes before yours?
If so, it’s high time you learned how to love yourself and started thinking about your needs a bit more. There’s absolutely nothing wrong with it as long as you keep the right balance and do not become an egomaniac.
You’ll do yourself a big favor if you:
- Learn to say no and stop being available to everyone anytime
- Listen to your body and your inner signals
- Don’t be afraid to express what you want and how you want it
- Take some time off when you need it
- Devote some time each week to doing what really makes you fulfilled and content
- Start each day by reminding yourself how amazing you are
- Stop comparing yourself to others for good
- Find and follow your true life passion no matter what
- Don’t seek approval from others from everything you do
- Forgive yourself and let your past wounds heal
- Be mindful and realistic as much as you can
- Get rid of toxic people and surround yourself with supportive ones
- Never give up on your dreams
So, take a deep breath, step out of your comfort zone and start practicing some self-love because you deserve it.
Step 4: Acquire new skills and take up a new occupation
Feeling fed up with your job and your daily routine?
Stop running that rat race, then!
NO – you’re not too old and it’s not too late for you to pursue your dreams.
YES – even if you’re over 50 or so! It’s never too late to seek your purpose and fulfillment.
YES, it takes courage. A lot of courage.
Yet, many people do it every day.
What prevents you from being one of those who dare to grasp for change when they feel they really need it?
Trying a new vocation does NOT necessarily mean that you need to quit your stable job which has been bringing you a steady income for years but which you obviously don’t enjoy doing.
No one says you should turn your life upside down overnight!
Instead, you could consider achieving fulfillment and earning some extra cash by taking up a new hobby or craft and maybe transforming it into a side job when you see it’s the right moment.
Pursuing the career of your dreams requires a strong determination and involves lifelong learning and developing new in-demand skills.
Fortunately, it’s never been easier because these days you can start an online business from the comfort of your home wherever you’re located.
Such a move can undoubtedly bring a fresh perspective into your professional and personal life.
There’s an extensive list of online jobs you can do if you want to work from home. For example, you can become:
- A Virtual Assistant,
- A Copywriter,
- A Customer Service Representative,
- A Web Developer,
- A Graphic Designer,
- An Online Store Administrator,
- A Digital Marketer,
- A Social Media Manager
- A Website Tester etc.
There’s plenty of opportunities for you to change what you do if you feel drained and dissatisfied with your professional life or you’re in search of more challenges and passion.
You’re bound to succeed and become an accomplished individual if you are truly dedicated.
If you’ve been thinking of landing a new online job but have no idea where to start and what to expect, we’ve got you covered.
Follow this link to find out which job role suits you best and how much you can earn as an online worker whether you are:
- an absolute beginner,
- a more experienced worker or
- a seasoned expert in your field.
Also, here’s a comprehensive list of the best and most widely used online job boards (way better than Upwork) to help you avoid scams and find legitimate online work that matches your expertise and needs.
Step 5: Live up to your fullest potential
If you want to learn how to live your life to the fullest potential, stop chasing happiness because it’s NOT a destination but rather a vague notion and a by-product of small daily actions you do to achieve your goals.
Quite the opposite:
Happiness is a result or more a side effect of all the failures you’ve managed to overcome proactively on the way to your ultimate life goal.
Honestly think about what you want from your life and you’ll find your purpose.
But, be aware that the purpose of life isn’t to be happy — it’s to be fulfilled.
So, instead of daydreaming and longing for happiness (whatever it may be), focus on diving deeper into your heart and soul to figure out your purpose – the true life passion that drives you. When you find it, make sure you set specific goals to achieve fulfillment.
The sense of fulfillment is what you should strive for if you want to live up to your fullest potential.
Start developing your mindset for success now
To power up your mindset for success, you need to fully understand how your mind works and how you can collaborate with it and train it to reach beyond your limits.
The following TEDx Talk by a renowned expert Marisa Peer will teach you how to rewire your brain for success.
Now that you understand that living a fulfilled and varied life is what leads to success and happiness, it’s easier to figure out how to achieve them, isn’t it?
The key is in keeping an open mind, that is to say, cultivating a growth mindset as opposed to the fixed one.
Let’s take a bit deeper dive into the differences between the two mindsets accompanied by some ideas on how to develop the growth one and why it’s important.
Here’s a quick summary of the basic ways to develop a success mindset by Brian Tracey:
We couldn’t agree more with what is stated in an Inc. article 7 Mindsets That Will Radically Improve Your Life Right Now:
Therefore, stop thinking you can’t do it, waiting for someone else to do it for you, and blaming others for your failures.
No need to be afraid of success!
Instead, firmly believe you CAN achieve that growth and, don’t compare yourself to others but compete with yourself only.
Ready to grab that success within your arm’s reach?
Go and get it!
Learn which work values you should hone and prioritize. Download and answer this Work Values Activity Cheat Sheet.