Do typos, dangling modifiers or missing commas jump out at you whenever you scan a passage of text? Even after a few glasses of wine or whiskey?
You simply cannot resist the urge of using your magic red pen every time you read a misspelled word or spot misused grammar tenses?
If this is you, then you’re born to be a proofreader.
Never thought of it?
Well, you should now. Especially when you know that proofreading can be a well-paid side hustle to a lucrative long-term online career.
What’s more, proofreading can also open the doors to many other types of work that may interest you, such as:
- graphic design,
- project management,
- virtual assistance and
- many other related online jobs.
It’s up to you. The choice is yours.
Nowadays, many people from all over the world work from home as proofreaders or editors.
The following companies offer either occasional or ongoing work to people in search of work-at-home proofreading jobs.
All these companies provide legitimate job opportunities but bear in mind that most of them require that you have prior professional experience.
ProofreadingServices.com offers part-time and full-time remote work to home-based proofreaders and editors in all time zones. Their team members have the flexibility to choose when they want to work.
If you start working as a home-based proofreader for this company, you’ll get the chance to earn between US$19 and US$46 an hour. Your hourly rate will primarily depend on your skill set, turnaround time and urgency of the assignments you get.
Now you might be wondering what the catch is?
Here’s some good news for newbies who’d like to kick-start their online proofreading careers:
ProofreadingServices welcomes entry-level proofreaders to their team if they pass the above test.
Besides offering you flexible work hours, competitive pay and the opportunity to work in an award-winning team of experts, this company claims to welcome part-time and full-time proofreaders who demonstrate superlative proofreading and editing skills no matter which country they come from.
Sounds like a wonderful opportunity to find a scam-free work-at-home proofreading job? Exactly, because it IS. Even regardless of your professional experience provided that your skills are remarkable.
Follow this link to learn more about the company. You’ll find information about:
- what types of documents they proofread
- what style guides they use
- where their clients are from and
- what other types of work they do.
You may also benefit from trawling through their valuable Resource Library.
Equipped with these handy tips, you are now able to proofread effectively. Grab your free cheat sheet now!
This platform connects online proofreaders with clients and wants to hire top-quality, skilled proofreaders, editors and writers. If this sounds like you, then they may be looking for YOU to join their team.
Rates for proofreading work at EditFast vary by project and it’s important to point out that you may NOT be offered consistent work by this company.
This is how it works:
As a home-based freelance proofreader, you bid on projects. If you get them, when you complete your part of work, you receive 60% of the earnings from each job via PayPal whereas the company gets remaining 40%.
When it comes to your tasks, as a freelance proofreader at EditFast, you may expect to proofread:
- advertising copy
- web documents
- technical manuals
- product packaging and manuals
- financial reports
- business documents
- personal letters
- educational material, essays, graduate papers, scholarly journal articles and other types of writing.
Besides previous proofreading or editing experience, a university degree, strong command of English and a stable Internet connection, you’re expected to have specialized knowledge in finance, technical, medical, literature, mechanical, science or other academic fields to get the job.
If you want to make sure you’re eligible to apply for a remote proofreading job at EditFast, follow this link and carefully study all the content there.
Looks like a perfect job opportunity for you?
Here are your next steps to take:
- use their Resume Builder to submit your resume
- pass a few of their editing tests
- create your own page through the EditFast Web Page Builder, and
- submit a non-disclosure agreement.
(For a more detailed explanation of the registration process, follow the link above.)
Then, you wait for your profile to get approved and activated. When/if that happens, you start getting new project notifications about potential jobs.
Getting the company’s approval typically lasts between a single day and two weeks.
The essential requirements for getting a home-based proofreading job at Scribbr are that:
- You are a native English speaker with a bachelor’s degree, who is curious about different subjects.
- You have a reliable Internet connection and MS Word 2010 or later.
- You are available for at least 10 hours per week, particularly during the busiest months (May and August) when you’re invited to work full-time.
- You are experienced in editing academic texts and are reliable, responsive and able to meet deadlines.
If you succeed at becoming a proofreader and editor at Scribbr, the following language checks will be within your scope of duties:
Also, here are some of the benefits of working for Scribbr as listed on their website:
- You are given the freedom to design your own work schedule.
- You work online directly from home or any other place you may choose.
- You can get 24/7 assistance from the company’s support team.
- The company handles the clients and logistics so that you can focus on your part of work – proofreading and editing.
- You get the opportunity to perfect your skills and learn how to work more efficiently thanks to the exclusive resources, targeted tips and personalized feedback you’ll receive.
- You join their exclusive Slack community where you can discuss language issues and exchange ideas with other Scribbr editors and proofreaders.
If you’d like to join their team, follow this step-by-step guide to becoming a Scribbr editor.
Their employees get paid twice a month and can earn, on average, between €20 to €25 per hour.
WordsRU is seeking remote proofreaders and editors from all over the world.
To get a work-at-home proofreading job at WordsRU, you must at least:
- hold an MA or PhD degree (or equivalent professional experience in any academic discipline)
- have a minimum of two years of experience as a proofreader or (copy)editor
- be familiar with the basic style guides (APA, MLA, Chicago, Turabian, Harvard)
- have a stable and fast Internet connection
- be proficient in MS Word, (i.e. its tracked changes feature in particular) and some other applications necessary for the job (find out details by following the link above).
If you meet the requirements and would like to join WordsRU proofreading and editing team as an independent contractor, don’t hesitate to email your resume or CV and cover letter to [email protected]ru.com.
This is Gramlee’s main message when you visit the Gramlee jobs web page:
“We are always looking for exceptional editors!
Can’t stand poorly structured writing and mistakes? If you’re the type that has an itch to fix errors when you see them, Gramlee may be the perfect medicine for you! Our editors are absolute grammar fanatics who shudder at the thought of poor writing. Does that sound like you?
We’re always looking to add people to our team. You’ll work from the luxury of your home as a contractor.”
How does this invitation to apply for a job sound to you?
If you think it’s appealing, you can submit your employment application here.
This company doesn’t expect its proofreaders to make drastic changes to sentences or words because those detailed, radical changes fall under the next level of services – copyediting and are tasked to an editor.
Still, your chances to get a home-based proofreading job at Gramlee will increase if you’re also familiar with editing documents for:
- structure and
However, this is what Gramlee’s proofreaders are expected to check in the assignments they get:
- verb-tense consistency
- spacing and
- formatting consistency.
It’s wonderful that Gramlee seems to welcome talented grammar aficionados to the team no matter how (in)experienced they are.
Scribendi is another legitimate online company that offers plenty of freelance home-based proofreading job opportunities, as well as in-house, full-time positions which are accompanied by free web-based training.
Although not much about Scribendi pay rates can be found online, Glassdoor reveals a few editors at the company earn $25 an hour.
You’re eligible to apply for a freelance proofreader or editor position if you have:
- a university degree
- at least three years of experience in editing, writing, document production, or language teaching
- native-level English proficiency
- excellent reading comprehension skills
- the ability to proofread or edit at least between 1,000 and 1,500 words per hour
- sound knowledge of at least one style guide (APA, Turabian, Chicago,)
- advanced level of computer literacy
- to be Internet savvy
- reliable high-speed Internet connection
- a PC equipped with MS Word 2010 or later (the use of a Mac/Apple computer is NOT acceptable).
Here’s a sample of their proofreading work so that you know what it looks like:
In case you need more reasons why you should work as a freelance editor with Scribendi, have a look at their infographic below.
This company offers its freelancers:
- the opportunity to work from the comfort of their home
- a flexible work schedule
- the ability to choose assignments based on their interests, skills, and availability
- a wide array of document types to work on
- competitive, secure and regular payments
- taking care of all the hassles of a traditional freelance job (e.g. billing, customer service, advertising, marketing) instead of their workforce who only needs to focus on the tasks at hand.
While allowing for a flexible work schedule, Scribendi usually gives preference to candidates who are available full-time.
If you’d like to work at Scribendi and you meet their requirements, complete their questionnaire and apply for a proofreading or editing position.
7. ManagedEditing or Wordfirm
In addition to other publication professionals, such as writers, indexers or graphic designers, this company occasionally searches for highly-skilled freelance editors and proofreaders to join their team as remote independent contractors.
Your location and time zone don’t matter, as long as you:
- have a reliable and fast Internet connection
- at least five years of professional experience
- a university degree
- necessary expertize in the most common style guides such as APA, Chicago, AP, AMA, and others.
On passing the initial job tests, successful applicants are able to choose the content categories they would like to proofread or edit.
Ready to get started with your work-at-home proofreading job?
If work-at-home proofreading is a profession you’d like to pursue, we’ve got some great news.
The demand for online proofreading jobs has risen sharply in recent years and it’s easier than ever to find legitimate opportunities to kick-start your online career.
You just need to have the right skills, know where to search and be daring enough to take the first step.
So what are you waiting for? Act now before it’s too late!
We’re always here to teach and support you.