It is one of the most important documents for eCommerce store owners as this promotes transparency. People would want to know where and how their information are being used and if these are being kept confidential.
They are now very keen on selecting websites that value confidentiality and websites that they can trust.
Although this is considered to be a legal document, words must be easy to understand, and does not contain obscure detail that might confuse the readers.
- a brief statement of your intention to protect and respect the privacy of information provided by your customers, visitors, clients.
“Rest assured that your information is protected.”
“Your privacy is very important to us.”
“We protect and respect your data.“
- a content that covers all bases and details from what information you collect, to how these are stored or shared. This way, customers will be assured that their information are secured and protected. The more details you give, the more visitors/customers will understand how these information are being used and protected.
- a limitation of liability statement to set customer’s expectation on which situations or conditions are already beyond your control
- a credentials seal or privacy certification that you can get from a reputable company. This will encourage customers to have confidence in your online store.
Samples Of Privacy Policies
Here is a list of Privacy Policies of well known eCommerce stores. Check these for guidnace on how to create your own customized version.
It includes examples of situations as to how they can collect information from customers via cookies as well as information shared with third party advertising companies. It also includes a limitation clause and the date of the update.
Aside from giving information about how they collect and use the sensitive information they get from visitors, it also includes a statement to protect the privacy of information collected from children.
At the beginning, it also included a well-written introduction and intentions to secure and protect the privacy of its visitors/customers. One thing to note from here is that, they included consequences if customers/visitors will not provide requested information.
This is helpful to visitors and customers to give them a better understanding of the necessity of the information they’re providing.
It also provides the contact information if in cases that customers find a need to file a complaint.
You can also upgrade to ProfessionalPrivacyPolicy.com for more options.
How To Use: You can use the featured example of FreePrivacyPolicy or create your own customized version by following these steps:
- Go to http://www.freeprivacypolicy.com/free-privacy-policy-generator.php, click on the ‘Click Here To Get Started” icon and go through each question. Check the options that apply to your store.
2. Shopify eCommerce University Policy Generator
This has friendly tools to create a professional looking privacy policies. It will also let you create customized version specifically for your business needs.
How To Use:
- To start, click on “Get Started” button then you simply need to fill out the form and enter your company details, what and how you handle the information that you gather from visitors.
- You will have an HTML version (with codes) as well as the Plain text version so you can easily add it to your online store.
How To Use:
- It will have a form for you to provide your company details and address. When you’re done, click on “Next”.
- Proceed with the next instructions to provide the information that you collect from your visitors and customers, information that you collect from their computers and how you intend to use these information.
Photo by katemangostar / CC BY