Do you ever feel less motivated and out of ideas than when you’re facing a deadline?
Well, you are not alone.
A great number of writers are afflicted by this gloomy feeling.
This is due to writer’s block: a state in which a copywriter who has the desire to write finds himself or herself unable.
You are probably asking yourself if you too are affected by writer’s block?
Most likely this is what is affecting your productivity and motivation.
What is the root source of writer’s block?
- Fear: Some writers do not believe they are good at writing.
- Perfectionism: Hundreds of copywriters think that perfectionism is what they require to hold high standards. Yet striving for perfectionism limits their ability to come up with new ideas and produce creative writing.
- Procrastination: Netflix, family engagements, laundry, even a nap. These can all provide excuses to put your work aside until later.
- Distraction: Too much distraction can pull your attention away from your writing.
These four elements are only a few of the many things that may be affecting your productivity.
Luckily, you will be able to overcome them.
Here are some surefire tips that can help you get off the hook if you have fallen prey to loss of inspiration, motivation or ideas to write about.
1. Listen To Music
One of the writer’s most helpful resources is music. Listening to music helps you stay productive during your writing process. It can encourage creativity, improve your expressive thinking and calm your anxiety.
Take the time to come up with a playlist that motivates you, calms you and makes you happy.
Preferably listen to music without lyrics while writing, as this will help you stay focused on your own text.
However, if you find it difficult focusing while listening to music, try listening to binaural beats at the low and medium level volume and observe the magic.
If you’re unsure of whether listening to music can help, look at some of the many benefits it offers:
- Increases your focus: Listening to music can help you control the distractions and noise around you.
- Depending on your preference you can opt for a steady tempo, something strong and steady, or an upbeat number. The tempo can set the pace for your writing session. Music helps you settle into a steady work rhythm.
- Listening to music can arouse emotions. Listening to music in the tone you are hoping to evoke can be extremely effective
- Listening to music is proven to help adults fall asleep faster. Better rest will help you stay focused during your daily copywriting tasks.
- It lowers stress and improves your health.
2. Optimize Your Environment
Are you aware that optimizing your work environment can boost your productivity?
Being in an environment that isn’t conducive to meaningful work can leave you feeling stagnant and less productive.
So how do you optimize your environment?
First, ensure that the sound in your office is ambient. Having an ambient environment will boost your creativity.
Secondly, you need to make sure that your office temperatures are perfect. Before you begin your work, make sure that the office has enough warmth to keep you from being distracted by the cold.
Third, you need to make sure that you have proper and adequate lighting in your work environment.
Finally, ensure that your office is clutter-free. An organized and neat working environment allows you to focus on your work and brainstorm on new ideas. Here are some of the benefits of optimizing your work environment:
- It allows you to focus on your work
- Optimizing your environment improves creativity
- It boosts your productivity
3. Get Involved in Exercise
There is nothing as frustrating and disappointing, as having no inspiration to start writing. And your sit down job might not be helping matters.
Fortunately, getting involved in exercise can bring new and juicy ideas flowing to your mind.
Exercise is any activity requiring physical effort that is carried out to sustain or improve health and fitness.
Walk, dance, swim, run, or hit the gym and lift weights. These are just some of the exercises you can involve yourself in to regain your focus and creativity.
Choose one or two exercises that work best for you and get sweaty.
Being active has proven to yield more benefits, both mentally and physically.
Here are a few reasons why exercising can prove vital when you experience writer’s block:
- Exercising helps you to develop precise focus and attention
- Good exercise also improves your problem-solving skills
- It allows you to sleep better
- Exercising keeps you motivated
- Exercise also encourages creative thinking
4. Take a Break
Often when we are invested in writing the same piece for hours, we tend to lose our objectivity and focus. Sometimes we get caught up in our work, or the desperation to finish the project at hand compromises the quality of work we are producing.
As a copywriter, taking a break allows you to regenerate new ideas and thus overcome any writer’s block that may be affecting your productivity.
Additionally, taking a break allows you to critique your work by bringing a sense of perspective.
There are numerous reasons why writers write; to have fun, to pass across a message, to inspire others, share their thoughts and many more.
Whatever your reasons for writing, do not lose sight of this. If you find yourself losing focus take a break.
You can either have a nap, take a stroll, watch a movie, or read a book.
Below are a few reasons why taking a break is significant:
- Taking a break helps you reduce frustrations.A break helps you to clear your mind and gives you a new perspective on your writing
- Gives your mind rest and allows you to re-energize
- It helps you not to lose sight of why you are writing
- It improves your productivity
5. Come up With an Outline
Before you begin writing, make sure that you come up with an outline of what you want to write.
An outline is a guide that can help you organize your thoughts and ideas in chronological order. You can use single words and lists to identify key topics and subtopics you want to write about.
Having an outline will help you identify what you haven’t captured and thus give you a chance to underline the key elements that you need to elaborate on.
Take a look at these benefits of creating an outline and see how useful it might prove to be:
- It allows you to focus on your work
- It helps you to save time and resources
- It allows you to organize your thoughts and information
- It allows you to visualize how ideas fit in your piece
The above are just a few of the tips that can help you overcome writer’s block.
Each time you feel like you are losing focus and motivation, find a technique that works for you from the listed tips and stick to it.
Try out the above tips to ensure you get your focus back, and inspire and motivate yourself to overcome your writer’s block.
And if that’s not enough to spark your motivation, this definitive copywriter salary guide sure will.
Photo by Unsplash